These crackers are the best ever. Huge statement, I know but they really, really are. Every person I’ve ever served these too is surprised, delighted and begging for the recipe! These crackers are super crunchy, versatile and incredibly simple to make. Do you want the recipe too? Keep reading!
When you think about crackers, you probably think of Vita-Weets, Peckish Thins and Jatz first but these really don’t compare. For starters, they contain no artificial flavours, colours or MSG and they’re not processed. These crackers are made from only seeds and water; yep you read that correctly. How? Because seeds have an amazing ability soak up and hold water, creating a natural glue for these crunchy crackers. You really won’t believe it until you make them.
The recipe I’ve posted is simply a reflection of what I had in the cupboard at the time, which is another pro about these crackers– you can sort of make them with whatever you have on hand. After some careful experimentation, I’ve come to realise that for this recipe you simply need two cups of seeds, of which the only necessities are the flaxseeds and sesame seeds. If you’ve got sunflower seeds at home, throw them in! If you’ve only got flaxseeds and chia seeds, that will work too! It's also fun to add things like minced garlic, fennel or cumin seeds –play around with the recipe to find your favourite combination and please do share your results in the comments, or on instagram!
2. Combine all ingredients in a bowl, except for the water. Mix well.
3. Add the water, mix well and set aside for ten minutes to allow the seeds time to swell.
4. Spread seed mix out, thinly onto a lined baking tray using a silicone spatula (about 0.5-1cm thick).
5. Bake for 35 minutes. At this stage, the seed mix will resemble one large cracker and will be almost fully cooked. Lift the cracker (which will still be stuck to the sheet of baking paper), flip it over and peel the baking paper off.
6. Bake for a further 10-15 minutes, then let cool and break up into crackers of your preferred size.